Monday, November 5, 2007

Yellow Belt, Fourth Stripe

Tested the my fourth stripe tonight, demonstrating Seisan Kata to Master Ron Joslin.

Seisan Kata develops the Isshinryu Karate fundamental stance, seisan. After the exam I took a minute to work on my stance, working on keeping the feet parallel. Mr. Oliver came over and once again told me that my feet need to be farther apart, shoulder width.

Aha, "shoulder width" in Isshinryu means the inside of the feet are shoulder width apart. Mr. Oliver always showed the spacing correctly but the words mean something different to me (Wu Chi stance is what I do when "shoulder width" is specified.) To confirm that I finally got it I said it was like standing outside the [train track] rails where I was standing on the rails before.

This wider stance is not comfortable for me, makes my hips hurt a bit. Feels like my feet are stuck in snow. It is such an effort to pick them up from this stable stance.

No comments: