Saturday, April 26, 2008

West Coast Karate Classic 2008

I competed in the West Coast Karate Classic 2008 today, my first Karate competition. (Held in the gym of Placer High School just down the street.)


It started with all the adult blackbelts doing Kata (forms) which took about two hours to get organized and executed. Then they did all the kids.


I competed in the Intermediate 35+ male Forms and Intermediate 35+ male Sparring contests. Technically I should have been in the Beginners section but I didn't feel right competing with guys with less then one year experience.


First we did the Forms where I performed Seisan Kata. There was a tie for third place so Dan and I had to perform our katas a second time. Dan placed third, I was forth.


As soon as all the guys demonstrate their forms the awards were handed out and the Sparing competition started on the same mat. In this event I also placed forth. I don't understand how that happened as I did win either of my two rounds.


The sparing rules are to pause the fight as soon as one of the competitors scores a point. The match is paused before a counter can be launched. Many of the people who "know how it is done" drop their guard and turn their back on the opponent as soon as they touch them or they are touched. This one guy actually jumps up and vaults in head first with his fist extended to score a point; it looks silly and leaves him off balance and open to all kinds of counter punches and kicks (that are not allowed under the rules.)

No comments: